FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Business Class and First Class with children [Merged Threads]
Old Jul 28, 2018, 8:43 pm
jpaikman

Programs: MVPG, SPGG, MRG, HHGold, Hyatt Explorist
Hello folks,

Longtime reader, first time poster on this forum.

My wife, I, and our 8 month old son just flew business class on Swiss and BA both transatlantic and intraeurope in business class, and would like to provide our experiences.

LX39 SFO-ZRH (777)
We were seated in 6D/6G. These are the two seats with bassinet attachments to the wall, above the screens. There are limits to the age and weight (<9mo, <22lbs, I believe) for use of the bassinet. We booked these tickets using Aeroplan points given the low cost of the infant seat. We confirmed the seats had the attachments, but because of communication difficulties between AC and LX they couldn't see the infant ticket. Because of this, LX even at the check in desk was not aware of the infant, and so did not bring a bassinet. I therefore note for future reference, bassinets must be reserved in advance by calling the Swiss customer service center. They must be able to see your infant ticket in order to reserve [this point I missed]. Because of the nature of the Thompson Vantage seats, laying down flat with an infant at your side is difficult. When traveling as a couple, storage space was sufficient.

LX1956 ZRH-BCN (A320)
We were seated in 1D/1F. While there are bassinet attachments to the wall, Swiss customer service line said because of the shortness of the flight no bassinets would be provided. I would add here this would seem to be inconsistent with Swiss's own policy on their website. Swiss business class does not have a blocking table in the middle seat, so we put our child there when at cruising altitude.

BA473 BCN-LHR (A320)
We were seated in 2A/2C. No bassinet attachments to the wall were seen. A customer in 1C decided to preemptively move given my son was sitting directly behind him, leaving row 1 empty. Because of the blocking table in the middle seat on BA Club Europe, I took him to row 1 to entertain him while at cruising altitude.

BA189 LHR-EWR (777)
My wife sat in First Class, leaving me with my son in seat 15A. Seatguru and the BA website clearly lists those locations with bassinet capability, and 15A seemed to be the most convenient given its privacy. However, the design of the Club World seats make it very difficult to have all of our infant care items readily available for use with your lap infant. The bassinet is more like a Baby Bjorn bouncer, and does not lie flat; it was also small for my son, making him very uncomfortable. Our flight attendants were extremely good however, and due to space availability they offered to move us to 15E/F, where he was able to play and rest on his own fully reclined CW seat. Storage in this situation just meant putting stuff on the parts of the seat which he wasn't using when laying flat. I must also add here that flight attendants were extremely experienced in infant travel, and provided this poor father with many recommendations and assistance to help my son get comfortable.

Happy to answer other questions if you have any based on my experiences.