FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Driving in Salta / Jujuy Province
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2018, 11:38 pm
Marambio

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
I have never taken a rented car outside of Argentina so I can't really comment on that.

Big roads in Jujuy are in pretty good shape. Not so much in Salta - watch out for potholes here and there. A few things to take into account, though:

1) Make sure your tank is always full. Petrol stations are not abundant in the Northwest. E.g. in RN 52, which is the main road from Purmamarca to the border with Chile, there is petrol only in Purmamarca and at the Jama border post, which is almost 300km away.

2) Outside of the main roads and large cities, most streets and roads are gravel. I once rented a car with Budget in Salta and their insurance didn't cover gravel roads, so watch out. Make sure the car you rent has a spare tire and also make sure you know how to replace a flat tire. Although most insurances have some sort of AAA assistance, it will take them hours to get there and in some places phone signal may be weak.

3) Driving in the mountains requires a lot of patience. RN 9 and 52 are mountain roads used by a lot of trucks going to/coming from Chile and Bolivia. Do not try to overtake unless you are 100% certain nobody is coming from the other direction. I have seen many stupid accidents because of that.

4) Your lights must be on 24/7 in Argentina, and the police love to fine people who don't follow that rule.