FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Tipping rental car attendant (National)
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2018, 1:04 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ginmqi
Honestly, this works well in Vegas for their hotels (where its basically an open secret) but I would not try this for rental car agents....it puts the agents in a tough position and I'm sure they are violating their employment contract by accepting these level of bribes essentially....usually I try to ask politely.
I worked for a different company, but there wasn't anything in our contracts or ethical guidelines about tips. However, as sales professionals (some of us--though sadly, never me--even made well north of $100,000 a year in commissions), we considered ourselves professionals and would always decline tips in the rare instances they were offered. My non-commissioned car detailers, though, had no such objections.

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
Two, as am sure you are aware National's managers and or counter reps are do different than elsewhere; they are rated in part on their "selling" numbers. It comes up at annual reviews, rewards are given for those meeting and or exceeding numbers, etc...

Finally will say it offering *ahem* tips requires some delicacy. There are those who view it as an insult. That is you are implying they are on the take and looking for a touch. There are eyes and ears everywhere, you never know who has your back or is ready to drop a quarter. If word got out that there was even the perception this manager was on the take, his career at National might come to a swift end.
Yes and yes. I'd much rather have you buy a $10/day upgrade from me than drop a $10 in my lap. The more a counter agent sells, the higher a percentage of the sales revenue they earn (at my location, it was up to 18%).

And while I didn't receive a direct commission on sales as a manager, my compensation was based on how well my team did, and in any case, as a sales management professional, I always felt that accepting a tip would be somewhat demeaning, like if I were a doctor accepting a tip. Although I never was presented with the chance to accept a $100 tip, so I can't say for sure how I would have reacted.