FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old Jul 26, 2018, 2:13 pm
SanDiego1K
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by gmax58
My wife and I are flying LAX-HKG. We've confirmed 1 F (her) and 1 J (me) award. The ideal thing would be to have us traveling in the same class of service on the same flight.

If there is 1F availability on another flight later in the day, do you think it is worth the risk to confirm the F seat and then see if I can move up to the original flight (assuming, of course, there are seats available)?
I have both scenarios in separate trips this year. My reasoning for each:

1) 1 F and 1 J - it's great to be on the same flight. I've got both expert flyer and award nexus running so I can grab a second F seat if it becomes available. If not, it will be great to arrive in LAX together. I believe we can both use the F lounge in Hong Kong together.

2) 1 F and 1 F - I was able to grab seats on the 2 LAX flights that are four hours apart. This means the proper amount of points have been taken by AS. It's a function of finding a second seat on either of those two flights. If I don't find it in advance to get AS to reticket, perhaps we can persuade CX to do it at the airport. I know that's very iffy, but we have one report in the thread of it happening. I've got my husband on the earlier flight. If we check bags, we will do so on his ticket. The rental car will be in his name. It will be tedious for him to have the time to kill at LAX but he will be ready to pick me up and drive south.

You can ask me in January which worked better.