FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Reflections pt2: Lifetime Plat with 11+ years but 600 ~ 750 nights – what to do?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 4:29 pm
yeunganson

Programs: Starwood:Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada:Basic, Asiana:Lifetime Diamond Plus, ANA: Basic
Update July 25, 2018: We now approach the final 6 days before merger of Aug 1. I am putting out my conclusion for this thread.

When I started to offer assistance on this thread, I was slightly afraid to be overwhelmed by requests for assistance. Back on the Marriott forum thread, a fellow Flyertalker was willing to share information about a hotel that allows one to book meetings without showing up (and thus getting 10 eligible nights through Rewarding Events), the flyertalker was then flooded with requests like 35 of them in a few days. This was in the back of my mind when I offered assistance to those in similar situation as I was.

Over the course of these two months, my belief of our cultural values of our collective disdain of gimmicks, cheats and short cuts were reaffirmed. Far from the feeding frenzy that happened in on other forums, I only received request from about half a dozen SPG members. All of them are in sympathetic situations and using the Rewarding Events as Ulterior motives of gaining 10 eligible nights is truly the last ditch effort. They all generously shared their snapshots dashboards with me and through this info-sharing, some of the Marriott hotel managers were more sympathetic and willing to go further. I was also impressed on some Marriott hotels and mangers I know upon knowing the situation bending backwards to help our SPG Lifetime members. I also gain insights on number of cities that Marriott staff isn't as clueless as what I was lead to believe in other forums and a decent number do know about Group Posting Tools (and use as intended such as weddings and corporate retreats to physical middle-scale business meetings) but just don't post their rates on Rewarding Events webpage.

There were Event Coordinators in a few Marriott in Middle East and Europe and US locations that I sent my Marriott internal documents on how to use Group Posting Tools. I expected nothing in return and got noting in return. I only asked them to help the SPG Liftetime members that are in their area needing those nights. To my surprise, there were two cases where the hotel manager implied they did know of Group Posting Tools but the incoming customer just wanted an hour meeting and didn't want to put up the effort to go through the process. After receiving the internal documents, one manager had a change of heart give reconsideration for a SPG Lifetime member. Overall those hotels learned something new on Group Posting Tools to complement their use of eBonus tool (the normal Marriott use to post points during stays)

Overall, I am glad this whole endeavor I get to know a number of Marriott hotel managers, helped a handful of SPG Lifetime members, and feel positive about our SPG membership and community we have. I hope I had a positive impact to SPG flyertalkers as we reach the end of the SPG homeland and step into a brave new world of merged Marriott/Starwood