FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Jul 25, 2018, 12:56 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SightseeMC
I am still not convinced we're getting maxed point refunds (Dan's scenario 2), though I will say that Lurker's continued hold to "equivalent points" plus Marriott's timeline is making me more hopeful.

Honestly, as much as I like having 3 7-day stays sometime next year, having half a million Marriott points would make me much happier.
I still very much believe you will end up with three 7-day certificates.

Maxed point refunds would be crazy-generous on Marriott's part.
Forced forfeiture at the "penalty" rate (45k) would be a world-class d*ck move beyond almost anything we've ever seen a loyalty program do. I trust Marriott enough to rule this out.
That leaves a category conversion, which seems reasonable given that the TP's *do* fall into the category of "certificates with a pre-defined category".

The details that remain are what to do when there isn't an identical "new" category level (e.g., old Category 6) and what to do with expiration dates and post-Aug 1 cancellations of certs that were attached on August 1. These are areas where members might get a *little* one-time bonus (in value or expiration date) to save Marriott some coding.