FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Why USA/EU allowed Emirates (and other ME3) to grow?
Old Jul 25, 2018, 1:05 am
croberts134

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Originally Posted by AntonS
I apologise for bad wording. ME3 definitely benefits flying public (lower prices, more chocies, shorter flights). I only wanted to stress that majority of the pax they carry does not need to go to DXB etc. and could be if needed flying on other airlines, albeit with slightly longer routes. And besides Boeing and Airbus there is no clear benefit to economies of EU and US from ME3.
Here's the thing though: the ME3 didn't appear overnight and become instantly as big as they are. The only reason they were able to be so successful connecting US and EU passengers to other destinations is that the US and EU carriers were not serving that demand. I believe you are fundamentally incorrect in asserting that if the ME3 had never been able to grow in the US and the EU that the home carriers would have just stepped in. The evidence points to the opposite since the ME3 were able to exploit years of neglect.

Additionally, the ME3 meeting this demand certainly benefits the economies of the origin, destination and connecting airports. Whether that be increased trade, increased tourism, increased employment at the airports, productivity gains from faster connections, more freight from larger aircraft. You cannot reasonably claim that there are no benefits to the ME3 services.