FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - UA Same-Day Travel Change (SDC) Fees/Questions (with Wiki) {Archive}
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:37 pm
findark
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by Aussienarelle
I have another flight next week and would like to change it to a day earlier but wanting to understand if it costs more even when the same fare class is available. I did not think this was the case but wanted to confirm as I was confused by the call yesterday.

I do understand there is a change fee since it is not with 24 hours of the original flight. For yesterday's call I was trying to change to the exact flight 24 hours earlier which is outside the SDC window (I believe ).
It depends a lot on the specific fare rules once you are no longer attempting an SDC. Generally speaking, if the ticketed fare class is currently available, and the inventory would have been legal by the fare rules at ticketing (time-wise), then you can make an even exchange and pay only the change fee. However, all of this is detailed in the fare rules of each and every fare, and I'm just listing the most common tag for this situation. Further complications involving downline segments will also muddle things if this is not simply a one-way or the last segment of a longer journey.

Remember for SDC that not only does the new flight need to be within 24 hours of the old one, but the current time also has to be within 24 hours.