FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated UA Lost/Delayed Baggage Issues {Archive}
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:49 pm
Flying Machine

Programs: UA Plat MM, CM Plat, Amex Plat, Hertz CP, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Gold, Vons Club
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
PSA: If United loses your bag you must file a claim in person or over the phone (*or online via this form as PTahCha points out). You cannot use the regular Customer Care form that conveniently has a Baggage/Lost Item category.

United “lost” my bag for 3 days in May. When my flight arrived sans bag, I went to the baggage office to find that it was closed: lights off, door locked. I proceeded home and filled out the Baggage/Lost Item form with my bag tag number. They didn’t even get back to me until after the bag showed up a few days later. They also called the number on the bag instead of me directly (the bag tag was intact) but okay. Whatever.

Well, I wrote in to get some goodwill comp like a good FTer and had the following exchange:

Me: You lost my bag. ETC please?
UA: Please provide the “file reference number.”
Me: Here’s the form I submitted and Case ID.
UA: Do you have the “Delayed Baggage Reference Number"?
Me: Neither a "File Reference Number" nor a "Delayed Baggage Reference Number" was generated for my initial complaint as evidenced in the attached file KMM... It is unclear to me why you keep asking for a reference number that does not exist.
UA: Only the local baggage office can open a luggage claim and generate a reference number.
Me: The office was closed when I arrived.
UA: We can’t do anything without that magic claim number.

I wrote to Oscar twice(!) regarding this issue but no one from his office bothered responding. It was only when I CC’d another exec today that someone was kind enough to give me a call and provide some soft (read patronizing) education on the matter. Unbelievable. At least I got my ETC in the end!
In my opinion tone and tenor has a lot to do with UA comp. If this was your interchange, it seems a little harsh to me with the choice of words you used (unless that's how your paraphrasing to us) perhaps being a little bit more professional in your communication with UA would you yield a fast reply. What compensation did you receive, and what did you request? That will help others in the form as well. Glad to see it's settled for you. By the way did you use to track your back function and what results did that yield?