FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta to add Seattle-Osaka, Drops SEA-HKG
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:39 am
BenA

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

And I guess you forgot or didn’t notice in the posts you quoted where I previously mentioned about YVR being a smaller market when looked at as total MSA (metro population), but that this was only a factor in a market and not the only factor in a a market. I’m well aware other market factors come into play - that’s how this whole discussion started until you decided to derail it with poor attempts at geography lessons - by me posting that SEA and HKG are different markets with different primary industries, hence a possibly explanation as part of why SEA-HKG didn’t perform as well as hoped and is being cut.

And you still haven’t explained your contradiction in the “spare aircraft” remarks and how in the same posts, in one part you say “Delta now has two spare aircraft” due to SEA-HKG being cut then in another part of that same post say Delta has “no spare aircraft”.

I mentioned and admitted at least twice upthread - that although YVR was a smaller market in terms of total MSA, that total MSA was only a factor and not the only factor. Then garykung decided it was more important to derail the discussion and play geography games. But I’m well aware that other factors besides just total population play a role, hence why a cities like HNL, MCO, and LAS have a ton of service relative to their MSA populations. Because of other market factors.
Exactly. YVR is a special case because of the colossal overseas HKG population who chose to settle en masse there during the 1997 handover. If there were a practical way to link Richmond to the MTR, it would have already happened.

While the geographic proximity is interesting - it allowed Delta to siphon off the occasional connecting passenger in the YVR-HKG market, and sometimes creates an incentive for Seatteites to drive north or fly AC - the markets are effectively separate.

AC may get some connecting corporate traffic for their YVR flights, but CX doesn’t really have any feed from Seattle right now (the AS relationship is relatively new and they haven’t been aggressive about filing codeshares).

The biggest reason YVR is a factor is simply that Hong Kongers who wanted to live in the Pacific NW mostly chose BC and not Washington as their base to be near the rest of the community. That ethnic distribution - giving Seattle a much healthier minority population of Korean and Japanese immigrants - directly affects O&D numbers.