FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Speculation: survey about upgrades 23 Jul 2018 -- changes on the way?
Old Jul 24, 2018, 9:14 am
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I share the high skepticism that this will all lead to a devaluation of the program and a better monetization of the first class cabin on non-peak business routes. Hence the question regarding how long will be consider a flight change for a paid-upgrade into first.

However, I wouldn't mind some shake-up with upgrade procedures as a plat pro that gets no SWUs anyways, and is far enough behind other elites on my routes through DFW that I don't really think I have any decent chance on getting an upgrade when it matters right now anyways. That, and it bugs me that about half the MCE seats are being filled with seat-assigned-at-check-in basic economy passengers. There should be a better way to manage that.

My overall opinion of the AA system is that sure the top tier gets great treatment (SWUs, always top of the list, etc), but the upgrade benefits quickly depreciate from there on down especially for hub-based members that fly elite-heavy routes. I know that most of you here are in that top tier and want to protect your great treatment, but I wouldn't mind getting a bone thrown at me every once in a while. Or even be able to pay a bit to get a confirmed F seat if they are available and about to be given away to ExecPlats otherwise.