FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Y pax demanded to be upgraded (CX Secrets)
Old Jul 24, 2018, 8:02 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
What I appreciate about CX is their clear policies.

Myself (BA OWE), my wife (BA OWE), my at the time 4 year old son (BA OWE) and 9 month old son (infant ticket) were travelling in PEY on CX last year. We were on the same booking reference. The flight was oversold.

Whilst in the HKG F pier, I was paged and offered 1 op- upgrade to business. They understood that I was travelling with my family but perfectly openly said that they could not upgrade the OWE linked to the infant, nor could they upgrade the OWE child. They gave me the option of whether or not to accept. I thought 'fair enough'- it was good of them to offer a split rather than automatically overlooking the whole party due to the infant (which I suspect is how BA's system operates but no one there will ever admit to it). I find CX systems and staff a lot more transparent when it comes to these things, which I think is the best way. They will openly say "upgrade due to overbooking and being emerald"- there seems to be a set priority order that is adhered to and not a guessing game. I like that.