FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Aeroplan's Best Kept Secret: award flights into Iqaluit
Old Jul 23, 2018, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalker70

One final Aeroplan tip I thought I'll throw out there for those who have status on other airlines like United:

I'm a United Gold member (i.e. I fly 50,000 miles with UA and *A partners every year) which entitles me to things like baggage allowance, free upgrades, lounge access and priority everything when flying with them. Unfortunately I have no such status with Aeroplan, which I have been told might be Air Canada's frequent flyer program. The first thing I do after I book an award flight with Aeroplan is update my frequent flyer number from Aeroplan to my United number. Doing this automatically switches the benefits I get on that flight from a general member to at least a *A Gold member (i.e. I can access the Maple Leaf Lounge when flying with Air Canada on an Aeroplan ticket). Also in the event they made an error booking the award ticket, I might actually earn award miles on this award flight (odds are 1 in a million but worth a shot anyways).

Recently I booked LAX to DTW with United using my Aeroplan miles. The moment I "imported" my Aeroplan flight into my United profile I was put on the upgrade list for the flights, could access Economy+ seating (normally $20-$50) and will have access to the *A lounge at LAX and the LH & TK lounge at IAD

Updating your frequent flyer number on Aeroplan tickets will vary depending on the airline and frequent flyer program you're a member of. For AC award flights I had to call them to get my frequent flyer updated to my United. For Swiss and EgyptAir it could be done online from manage reservations. As mentioned before, United was the simplest, just plug the United PNR into my MileagePlus account!

Safe Travels,

James