FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific (CX) Award Redemption, Booking and Availability – 2017 and Later
Old Jul 23, 2018, 1:22 pm
CDKing
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by anthonyparkersd
We are Scheduled to fly out of Lax first week of January to HKG for a day and then onto AKL. Question for you all, I'd love to fly out of JFK to get a longer flight and enjoy those first class seats! Availability doesn't seem to be a problem with either one of the airports within 2 weeks of departure but do you think we are more prone to delays in January at JFK for any kind of weather disturbance?

We have a day layover but I'd rather not waste it with delays in getting out! Thanks for the help
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
There is most certainly a great likelihood of snow at JFK compared to LAX in January. That said, it's impossible to predict whether or not you'd have any delays or cancellations associated. If there's a gigantic winter storm impacting the entire East Coast, you'll obviously be impacted more so at JFK than you would be at LAX, but no way to know that now. If it were me, I'd stick with LAX, but depends on how much risk you want to take to get more time in the seats. :P
Beginning of January you might have better odds than leaving late January or February. Good part is the long haul flights are less likely to cancel but you still have to get to JFK.