FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - How can AA claim a weather cancellation? False excuse?
Old Jul 23, 2018, 8:38 am
MarkOK

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by JDiver
. No airline wants to cancel a flight, as it’s terrible OR and has knock on effects down the line.
Sure, but if an airline does need to cancel a flight, they sure DO want to be able to blame it on the weather. It's their ultimate trump card that gets them off of having to do anything that is truly costly to them.

I had a flight canceled by Delta years ago due to 'weather' which made me miss a connecting trans-atlantic flight, and a day of vacation. The weather in my departing and arriving/connecting city was good, the weather in the city the inbound plane was departing from was good, and there was very few storms or even delays in the entire country. It was highly suspect but I didn't know about the resources then to track airplanes more deeply into the system. I am sure Delta had some sort of squeeze in their operations and just made a decision that operationally my flight was the easiest to cancel. By using the weather excuse, the bottom line was that Delta got off with having to do very very little for causing the major inconvenience to me (all they would do, even after prodding and then arguing, was rebook me on the same flight 24 hours later).