FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - PHX mini DO Aug 2018
View Single Post
Old Jul 23, 2018, 5:58 am
madfish

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Just to add to the data regarding OTP having just been through at the start of my second OTP/PHX run.

We arrived at gate 14 and straight into the terminal (no bus gate this time!) At the end of the air bridge we turned left and headed a short distance along the corridor following the signs for exit/transit, and headed off down the escalator to the ground floor. It was at this point I observed that we were now in the same place where passengers arriving on a bus gate enter the terminal. Being able to pay more attention it seems that there are multiple doors into this area from bus gates.

We then had to go up the first escalator, passed the transfer security desk and up the second escalator to passport control. And no, you couldn’t avoid the going down/going up. We were then in arrivals area where we waited an age to collect our luggage - 50 minutes from arriving on stand to leaving the arrivals area. I know, it’s a cardinal sin to check luggage but am travelling with my daughter and away for 11 days in total.

It is worth noting that there are a few shops in the arrivals area with toilets located at one end. The queue for the ladies was large and slow moving so possibly best to make use of the facilities on board. Fortunately there was no such issue with the men’s.

Worth noting that I also observed somebody trying to use the transit security. They weren’t from my flight as we were the first off. However, he was receiving clear instructions to head up to passport control.

Returning back to LHR we headed to the check in desks around 2 hours before departure. This was chaotic. 4 desks were open with one marked as priority. However there were around 20 people in front of us for the priority desks with the other three being worse. Although there were 32 in CE it was clear that not all of those in the priority queue were actually priority. Eventually the check in agent sent a large group away. There were a lot of school children/groups so I suspect that there were more checked bags than usually.

It was confirmed that we were heading to JFK and the agent asked if we had ESTAs. She didn’t check these.

Security was fine and there were plenty of agents checking passports so we were soon in the lounge. Certainly nothing to write home about. Leaving the lounge it was a short walk to gate 20 and the bus to the plane.