FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Gelato in Italy
Thread: Gelato in Italy
View Single Post
Old Jul 23, 2018, 3:35 am
Up In The Air

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by oh_lol
I've been trying to understand from reading this thread, but what are the best ways to tell gelato and ice-cream apart?

My Italian girlfriend doesn't believe me that Italian's would, in her words, 'produce fake gelato'.
Although I claim to be no expert when it comes to the consumption of 'gelato' I have lived in Italy, so feel qualified to comment:

According to Webster's and the OED, gelato is a soft, rich Italian or Italian-style ice cream. Compared to the ice cream commonly supplied in the US and UK, gelato is denser (with less air) and has a lower fat content (amongst other recipe variations).

In Italy the distinction is between 'gelato industriale' ie. mass-produced ice cream; and 'gelato artigianale' ie. gelato made in relatively small quantities by 'artisans' (using nonna's ancient recipe no doubt). In my experience the stuff made in the kitchen behind the 'gelateria' is far better, but that's not to say that Italian mass-produced 'gelato industriale' something at which to turn your nose up. The distinction is also the case for sorbets.

However, I've yet to find a good ol' 99 anywhere in Italy, from Trapani to Turin to Trent to Trieste.