FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Points earning at restaurants
View Single Post
Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:33 pm
C17PSGR

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
True, when one is staying at those Marriott brands and charges F&B to the room. However, SPG gives points on F&B (in principle, the test is whether you could have charged the bill to your room, so some restaurants that merely rent space in the hotel but are operated independently are excluded) when you're not a hotel guest.
I noted in a recent SPG stay that the folks at checkin told me that I could only charge things to my room at certain restaurants at the property.

Originally Posted by controller1
Getting points and giving discounts are two different programs. Getting points at a Starwood hotel's restaurant, even when not staying, has long been a facet of the SPG program. It is going away in August when the loyalty programs are combined. The discounts were given through the SPG Cravings program. Starwood Lurker indicated that properties which gave these discounts will continue to be able to offer such discounts, if they so choose.
Thanks ... that makes sense. So, is there a way to get credit for places I recently ate at? Also, how do I get credit at restaurants if not staying there. Just give them my SPG number?