FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Horror stories due to terrible travel companions
Old Jul 21, 2018, 4:56 am
invisible

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Brining this thread/discussion back. I've been asking following questions to perspective travel companions and to the people who want to visit us:

- What are your expectations and main reasons to be on this trip?
- Could you describe what would be the best or worst experience of this trip? Why?
- Are you self starter or do you expect others make plans for you?
- Do you have food allergies or preferences? What to you do if your preferred food is not available?
- Are you punctual? If you say 'I'll be there in 10 min' does it mean 10 min or '10 plus 30 more'?
- Have you been in long-distance (>10h) flight in Economy and how did you handle it?
- What is your experience and ways to deal with jetlag?
- Have you been thru culture shock? What caused it and how did you handle it?
- (when guests are visiting you) Do you expect that your hosts will pay for everything or you are willing to contribute? How much? (I know this question might will sound weird to people from Western societies but there are number of cultures around where if you are a host and invite someone in you home to stay, they will expect that you will pay for everything, including plane tickets, dinners, entertainment, etc)
- Are you fit/outdoors person? If yes, when was the last time you walked/hiked more than 2 hours on unmaintained trail?
- How do you handle hot/cold/dry/humid weather? How much heat/cold/humidity could alter your plans?
- Do you have an experience to be in different than your home climate before?
- Do like/hate crowds? Are you claustrophobic? Are you afraid of heights?
- Are you late sleeper or late night person?
- Do you drink alcohol? If so, how many drinks per evening out?

You can add your own questions in this list, but after starting asking these questions, 80% of perspective guests/travellers drop out which leaves only people who we are going to have good time with.