FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [Consolidated] Checked baggage with long layovers
Old Jul 20, 2018, 11:47 pm
Nazdoom

Originally Posted by BF263533
I have never flown Air Canada. On most trips for the past 30 years I was able to check the bag through if the connection was less than 24 hours. On United in Jan. 2017 I was not able to check my bag through from MIA to Manila because I had a 14 hour connection in Honolulu. In August I have a flight from EZE (Buenos Aires) to Toronto, then connecting to Chicago after a 2 hour connection, then Miami. United now has a 12 hour rule. I am able to cut out the Chicago stop and fly directly to Miami. But this brings the connection in Toronto to 13 hours. If I need to reclaim bags in Toronto and take to the hotel I will not change from a 3 segment to a 2 segment trip. At 65 with a bad knee, and a retired attorney who has done discrimination work, thinking disability discrimination.

After 12 hours of travel the last thing you want to do is lug 2 large bags to a hotel.
Generally speaking, AC won't hold onto bags overnight. If you're coming in at 8am and leaving at 8pm, I'd wager it can be checked through. If you're coming in at 8pm and leaving 8am, then no.

I have been told at least five times in YYZ that I can't check my bag in at 11pm-1am for a flight departing at 6-8am, flying J. It's fairly common in North America unfortunately due to 9/11 fears (many airports, particularly in the US, prohibit luggage storage or require stored luggage be xrayed first).

There is a luggage storage open early and late to store checked bags, very near AC checkin. It's around $10 for a large checked bag if I remember correctly.