FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Should I transfer MR (Canada) to Avios?
View Single Post
Old Jul 20, 2018, 5:09 am
tryinginvain

Programs: Aeroplan, Alaska Airlines
Should I transfer MR (Canada) to Avios?

I'm trying to decide if transferring Amex MR (Canada) to Avios is a good idea in my case. I have about 275k MR.

In the past I always transferred to Aeroplan, but with their uncertain future I want to look at other options.

The reason I'm considering this now is the SPG/Marriott merger. If I want to transfer my MR to SPG I want to do it before the end of July. I've read speculation that the current 2:1 (Canada) transfer rate could go to 3:1 as of Aug 1. MR airline transfer partners in Canada are pretty limited but if Avios looks like a good option for me I'll hold off on a SPG transfer.

I have a B.A. Avios account but am currently in Asia and could not log in. I got a "unusual traffic" message and my i.p. seems to be blocked. I sent an email to "brightcloud", whoever they are, no idea if it will get unblocked. I mention this because I'm unable to check on options through the site. I've never had many Avios points and only used them for a couple of short haul N.A. redemptions. I know fuel surcharges flying on B.A. are high. That doesn't work for me, but I'm curious about partner redemptions.

Most of my travel would be from YUL/YOW/YYZ to BKK in C. I have used Alaskan points for BKK - YYZ on CX once and it was great. But Alaskan isn't a transfer option, unless I go through SPG. I know CX is a B.A. partner, generally speaking how is availability and what are the surcharges like? Are there other good options for my route? How many points for one way/return in C? Is a one-way typically 1/2 the points? I ask this because I normally book one-way with Aeroplan since I can jump on flights when they are released.

Thanks in advance!