FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Fairmont Chateau Lake Louise, Alberta, Canada
Old Jul 19, 2018, 10:31 pm
socaltam

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
OK. A few thoughts below...

For a short hike after checking into CLL late in the day, consider Fairview Lookout. Just a short hike in the trees to a view point over the lake looking back at the Chateau. Very easy.

You could also participate in the yoga/stretching classes they give on the canoe dock in the evening. It's free for hotel guests. A nice way to limber up for the hiking the next day. And, what better setting for a stretch class than outside at Lake Louise!

Consolation Lakes might not be a great option, since getting to Moraine Lake, other than crazy early or late in the day, is difficult. It's also a trail with grizzly bear activity, and is under the tight group of 4 hiker restrictions most of the summer. Hiking it into the evening when critters are more active means you need to be extra bear aware.

As I said, it's a long boring fire road, but Lake O'Hara is fabulous. You probably won't have time for the full alpine circuit, given the time to walk the road. To get a good mix of everything, head out the West Opabin Trail, see Opabin Prospect, then to Hungabee Lake and pick up the Yukness Ledges alpine route as far as Lake Oesa, and then back to O'Hara. Or, the opposite direction.

Lots of good options at Moraine Lake. Everything from the dead easy Lakeshore Trail and the Rockpile Trail up to more strenuous hikes like Sentinel Pass and Wenkchemna Pass, to scrambles like the Tower of Babel (which is a good introductory scramble, but still to be taken seriously). Love the canoe ride at Moraine. Canoeing will be cheaper at Lake Louise, simply because you're a hotel guest. Both lakes are great.

I've been to Bow Lake, but never done any of the big hikes in the area, so can't offer much comment.

I'll send you a link via PM to some hiking maps and photos for those hikes.

You won't be fishing at Peyto Lake. There's a short trail to a nice Peyto Lake viewpoint, but you'll be hundreds of feet above the lake. You can get to the lake, but it's not a maintained trail, and may involving fording a couple of creeks. I wouldn't bother.
I wouldn't spend the money on the Glacier Skywalk. Firstly, you're not on a glacier, and secondly, with all of the hikes you're planning on doing, you'll have tons of way better views. You'll find it disappointing and feel like you were ripped off. The Glacier Skywalk is there for windshield tourists and old tour bus passengers who don't bother going anywhere off the pavement.

I think Maligne Canyon is really pushing it. Jasper is a very long day trip from Lake Louise. Maligne is another hour further than Jasper. Very nice, but, that's a full day, especially if you're planning on spending a couple of hours at the Columbia Icefields. Many of your stops won't take too long, but it will be a full day. If you try it, definitely pack picnic lunches. You don't want to waste time lining up for overpriced and mediocre food at the Crossing or some other underwhelming stop along the way.

I'll send you another link for this. It's an easy hike, but it can be busy.

I haven't done these, although, I have a Lake Minnewanka fishing charter booked for next month to try it out.
can you give me info on who you chose to do fishing charter with?

do I hit you up for advice on Chateau le Frontenac for later in the year
2018 : Orchid, grand Del Mar, Banff, Lake Louise, Quebec and Boston to use up all my certificates