FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award travel to Fiji or Tahiti using MileagePlus Miles?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:43 pm
LimeyFlyer

Programs: Latam Pass Black; UA 1K, 1MM; Marriott LT
PPT / Polynesia Trip

So, I’ve been almost dreading trying to work this out, and have previously dabbled, but now I need to figure this out and I’m going in circles.

Mrs Limey and myself would love, as a once in a lifetime trip, go to French Polynesia and goof around there / Fiji, in over water bungalows. But first, we need to get there.

So, ideally I would like us to be there for a week or 10 days between April 8 and April 20, 2019 which would mean we could spend Mrs Limey’s birthday there.

Origin would be MUC.

Firstly, if you just dump MUC – PPT for example into the flight search, it comes back with nothing, so that’s annoying.

I have been looking at going east as well as west.

If we go west, we could do MUC to either SFO or LAX. If SFO then there is the direct to PPT on UA, but this is only showing available in economy.

If we go east, we could go direct MUC to SIN then a couple of stops to get to PPT.

This seems to have more availability in business, but there are some long stopovers on the way from SIN. That in itself is fine…. But if it’s a stopover, let’s stopover properly for as long as possible, preferably overnight in a hotel, and have chance to see the stopover venue.

So, the bottom line.. would like to travel in business, failing that, 3 econ seats between the two of us so we have some space.

Ok to stopover, especially if time to visit the destination, but would love say, MUC to US to PPT or similar with minimum stops and time spent in airports.

Resources… likely about 500k UA miles, 1.2 mil amex points, 120k or so Virgin Atlantic. Both of us GS.

Would really appreciate and love thoughts on strategy to make this work…..

Then, if you also have any suggestions on the accommodation, that would also be welcome…. The Marriott overwater bungalows seem crazy with the points and cash required.

P.S. Please don’t tell Mrs Limey, I’m hoping I can keep it as a surprise.