FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Qualify for platinum with both programs in 2018?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 6:46 am
RogerD408
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by patiolanterns
Thanks very much for the two responses above. It seems absurd they would put an arbitrary restriction in like that simply because I completed more stays before the merger. It’s rewarding loyalty in reverse. And it actually seems simpler IT-wise to simply hand out the SNAs to all newly-minted plats, so it’s a terrible excuse if Marriott goes that route.

I will read that thread and perhaps reach out to the spg lurker. I hate chasing things down with Marriott, even when it’s blatantly obvious what needs to be corrected they always make it nearly impossible to fix. I guess we’ll see what happens, but I think it’s pretty clear I’m entitled to those suite nights both per the plat premier benefits list and simple common sense.

Yes, it's a Simple Matter Of Programming (SMOP) and anything can be done. With the bean counters running too many operations the resources just aren't going to be assigned for one-off functions. On the MPG side, they will be looking at the combined accounts, some MR and some SPG numbers that I doubt will be maintained separately in the system. The SPG members may have already chosen their 10 SNAs, should they get another 5 just because they have more than 50 nights in MR too? And what about those that have already passed 75 nights? Should they get another 5 SNAs even if they picked the 10 SNAs (many hoping/expecting yes)? There are so many corner cases the cost of coding for all that would be immense, especially for a one-time run. I suspect this will be yet another "one-time exception" process where those that call in and make the request will be able to request what they want (and that would be much cheaper in that many will not bother).

Anything can happen and we won't know until it does. Even if it's not there day one, both programs have been known to backtrack to correct missteps in the past. Keep reading the releases and see how they apply to you and your account.