FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Transiting CGK overnight QR->SQ - options?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 3:16 am
NetJets Germany

Programs: CX DM, SQ KF Gold
Originally Posted by marcelduchamp
Hello! I flew QR from JFK to CGK via DOH (Business Class) and connected to a CGK-SIN flight on SQ, in Economy, and on a separate ticket. The agent at JFK had to check with her supervisor but managed to check my luggage all the way to SIN. Upon arrival in CGK, I was surprised to be met on the aero bridge by ground staff. I was led to the airside departure area and asked to sit on the benches as he took my passport to somewhere mysterious to issue my boarding pass for SQ. He returned after 20 minutes and led me to the lounge used by SQ. It was way more convenient than I expected. I will also recommend the Jakarta Airport Hotel for its Super convenient location, especially for SQ and QR flights (for now). Both will be moving to Terminal 3 soon.
So, seeing as I have returned home in one piece, I thought it would only be polite to report on my own experience:

On the outbound (SIN-CGK on SQ, then CGK-DOH-LHR on QR), I went to the KF EG check-in counters of SQ and had no problems checking the bags through all the way to LHR.

As Marcel experienced himself, also I was met at the airbridge by an airport agent upon my arrival in CGK who was holding up a sign with my name. I had not expected that at all, and the chap said that their "system" had informed him; I am guessing my checked bag might have had to do with this? I wonder if the same had happened if I had been travelling in economy on QR? Anyway, also I was asked to sit down in the transfer area, and the agent disappeared with my passport and bag-tag in hand. After about 20 mins I got slightly nervous, wondering if perhaps I had become the victim of an elaborate con. So I wandered around a bit and asked various airport staff if what I was going through was commonplace - to my growing concern nobody seemed to have a clue as to what I was on about. Finally I had walked all the way to the immigration counters, where another airport agent who was dressed in the same way as my passport abductor started fretting with his walkie-talkie, when finally the first gentleman re-appeared with my passport, bag-tag and newly minted boarding passes for CGK-DOH-LHR. He was very apologetic about the long wait and walked me all the way to the departure lounge.

On the way back, I had decided to follow my fellow FT'ers' advice and only check my bags to CGK. Upon arrival, my bag arrived without a hitch, and I proceeded to the arrivals area, where I was informed that a member of the Orchardz team would be waiting for me. Alas, there was none. I called the two numbers I had been given in an email, and on the second try a chap answered in broken English promising to be with me soon. A few phone calls and 20mins later I was finally identified by the driver who drove me to the hotel in a clearly marked shuttle bus. He took the slightly scenic route, making me worried once again if I was perhaps being brought to a forced carpet-sale, but I needn't have fretted, as 15mins later we arrived at the Orchardz where I was checked in very swiftly and professionally. No massage was offered, but instead a much more useful wake-up call. They also took my request down to be shuttled back at 4am. To my surprise, breakfast was offered from 2.30am onwards, which I however did not try as I was short on sleep and long on calories. My wake-up call came promptly at 3:27am, followed by a reminder call at 3:45am that I was asked to come down for my shuttle. The shuttle left on the dot at 4:00am and arrived at Terminal 2 at 4:13am. I checked in within minutes and everything went smoothly from there.

All in all, I must say I had a very pleasant and much better experience than what I had envisioned before I commenced my trip. Would not hesitate to do this all again, even if it does considerably to the journey's length (Especially the return leg).