FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United iPhone/iPad App-Questions, Answers, Bugs and etc [CONSOLIDATED]
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:49 pm
Polytonic

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by mozilla
Has someone found a foolproof way to get your mobile BP quickly scanned at the gate?

IME, holding my phone above the reader doesn't work most of the time. I have to lay my phone down still on the reader, and even with the barcode perfectly aligned it still takes 1-2 seconds (sometimes even more) to read, which is too long compared to a paper BP. The reader also often manages to read the barcode a second time while I remove my phone from the reader, resulting in the long beep with a red "PAX ALREADY RECONCILED" dialog on the GA's screen. Most GA's are used to this dialog popping up, but every once in a while I encounter a GA who holds me back to verify that I was correctly scanned.

FWIW, I use an iPhone X with the UA app's default settings, including temporary full brightness while the mobile BP is displayed. I do have a screen protector (Belkin brand, applied to my phone by an Apple Store associate) but I haven't noticed any issues with scanning because of this in other scenario's.
I have an iPhone X and I add the boarding pass to Apple Wallet, and it scans just fine, holding the phone about an inch or two from the reader. Takes about a second to read and beep.

I do not have a screen protector.