FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Voluntary Denied Boarding - VDB/Bump Experiences on UA [2018]
Old Jul 16, 2018, 2:01 pm
jjmoore

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by BThumme
I'm glad they gave you the voucher. When that happened to me three months ago (plane downgauge as well), the phone agent laughed at me when I asked for a $500 voucher to change flights. I passed, and got $1500 the next day at the gate. I assume you recommended the DEN-SJC flight? UA could always argue they're doing you the favor by rerouting you there and skip out on the voucher.
Interestingly, I chatted with the phone agent that dealt with the oversale for a few minutes and that person told me that UA is trying to be more proactive in these situations because they have been burned on many occasions lately (not bad because they technically are not IDB's, but terrible PR). This downgauge was apparently the result of weather issues in EWR. Anyway, I am happy to take a $500 voucher one day prior to departure... any... day. They got all the takers they needed (obviously since I was able to tranfer back onto the flight 12 hours later!!).... I will likely not wait ever if called to take an offer like that.

Probably my first and last time volunteering literally off the same plane 2 times.