FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:50 am
nexusCFX

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by SPSTiger

I had a similar experience trying to upgrade an unattached 7N Cat 1-5 cert from a travel package to a Cat 9 to attach to a future reservation. Called late in the evening ET and after 10 min of hold, got an agent who insisted (after going back on hold to "check something") that the upgrade required 165k points, not 120k points. That's what she claimed the system required and it applied to any 7N cert upgrade to Cat 9, regardless of the original category of the certificate, which obviously makes no sense. After it was clear this agent had no idea what she was talking about, I hung up and called back the next day in the middle of the day. Got some agent who seemed experienced who put me on hold for 40 min while she processed the upgrade for 120k points and attached to my reservation. In the past, I seem to recall the cert upgrade only taking a few minutes.
I had the same thing happen. The agent wasn't exactly wrong though. What she meant was, the Cat 1-5 would be cancelled for 45K points, and then a Cat9 would be issued for 165K from your account. A net change of 120K. It took a while for me to figure out that's what they meant though.