FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Slow Demise of Global Services (Yes? No?) ....
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:50 am
aero0729

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer
Let's keep it all friendly banter eh, since this is a serious first world problem :-)

My 10c as a first year GS is that I'm underwhelmed.

I fly paid J most of the time and should easily make GS this year, and also am the decider on where $30k of flights goes for Mrs Limeyflyer.

Boarding early now is irrelevant: OJ, water or "champagne".. why bother? I will always get space for my one small carry on in J. Will be staying in the lounge until the last second going forward.

I have been on hold more than not with the GS phone line.

On board service is no different than 1K.. who cares if you get cold chicken or cold fish as a first or second choice.. it's all garbage.

GPUs.. I used one last month to get to "First" where I received crappy food, and no different service, just the slightly bigger seat.

Mrs Limeyflyer, GS, in J, had a tight connection in BRU and had no help.

Mother in Law Limeyflyer had the displeasure of the check in dragons at EWR with myself and Mrs Limeyflyer getting to EXACTLY 50lbs on a third (paid for since MIL Limeflyer has no status) bag. (UA really needs to realize that they need to treat Mrs Limeyflyer and MIL Limeyflyer better than me.. if they are happy, then I am happy even if I get crappy service)

Rewards availabilty for where I want to go and when is still not happening, and for transatlantic, it keeps pushing me to LH... really? Put me on LH another time and I may just have to admit to myself that it is an improvement and switch.)

My work colleagues (360) are having car transfers, lounges where you can eat the food (exception being so far the EWR Polaris lounge and so on. They laugh at me and make me so insecure.

The benefits, however... sometime a GPU will clear... and the Mrs Limeyflyer can have a saver miles ticket when I'm in paid J, and the front of the security line in EWR... however, I am flying out of EWR which takes me 35 minutes longer to get to than JFK or LGA.

Ah, yes. What to do eh. That grass looks well watered and fertilized.
Try flying Delta.. im sure you will love the product
*Diamond upgrades never clear (doing way better as a 1K)
*Food is gross - I haven't had an edible meal in 1st on DL this year. United snack flights are better than DL transcends (except for D1)
*Service on DL absolutely sucks... most overrated airline on planet earth. Board before you clear your upgrade.... or empty seats in 1st??? DL flips you the finger. Left me in the back #1 on the UG list with an empty seat next to my companion. Customer Relations supported the gate agents decision to avoid delay . flight left 8 min early. This is consistent with DL , UA ALWAYS comes onboard
*First class seats... on DL its "LCC" in 1st with the tightest pitch and no recline
*Award availability might not be great on UA.. but on DL, those Skymiles and seeing DL prices for last minute awards will make you puke. 120K Delta miles one way for last minute JFK-LHR flight. UA was round trip for the same price.

Trust me ... enjoy GS and avoid DL. IT wont be faster to get to LGA.. the traffic blows and the flight schedules aren't that great. Its a regional airport. JFK... DL Terminal 4 is much worse than EWR. Seems like you have to walk forever. Oh and lounges you can eat food in? Not sure I understand what you mean... the salad with the big bottles of Hidden Valley ranch is food you would eat? Or the DL Skyclubs enjoyable rubber chicken ? DL has no International departure lounge. You would miss that Polaris lounge for sure.