FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 1 of 4 my bags has been missing from a nonstop LY flight for 3 days. how to proceed?
Old Jul 13, 2018, 9:16 pm
nuritnurit

Originally Posted by Houminer
This saga happened to me numerous times with Elal. World tracer was sometimes updated but sometimes my bags arrived and "tracing continues. Please check back later" was still in worldtracer.
My bag was delivered yesterday by FedEx. It had been flown to JFK instead of BOS. While I'm relieved to be reunited with my bag, the FedEx tracking info shows that El Al had located my bag on Monday night, yet no one at El Al seemed to know this when I contacted El Al multiple times after Monday night. In fact, [email protected] ("Baggage Claims NYC") emailed me today (in response to an email I sent yesterday before FedEx delivered my bag):
"Please note for now your case is a lost and found issue. Our lost and found dept both in BOS and TLV are currently searching for your luggage."
The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing!

The status has not been updated in World Tracer either, as it still says "tracing continues."

Is such incompetence ubiquitous across the airline industry or is El Al particularly bad?

Also, can anyone recommend a GPS luggage tracker? Knowing my bag was at JFK on Monday would have provided a lot of peace of mind.

Finally, has anyone successfully received a refund from El Al for the checked baggage fee on a delayed bag [on a flight with a US destination]?

FAA Extension, Safety, and Security Act of 2016:

SEC. 2305. <<NOTE: 49 USC 41704 note. Deadlines. Regulations.>>
REFUNDS FOR DELAYED BAGGAGE.

(a) In General.--Not later than 1 year after the date of enactment
of this Act, the Secretary of Transportation shall issue final
regulations to require an air carrier or foreign air carrier to promptly
provide to a passenger an automated refund for any ancillary fees paid
by the passenger for checked baggage if--
(1) the air carrier or foreign air carrier fails to deliver
the checked baggage to the passenger--
(A) not later than 12 hours after the arrival of a
domestic flight; or
(B) not later than 15 hours after the arrival of an
international flight; and
(2) the passenger has notified the air carrier or foreign
air carrier of the lost or delayed checked baggage.