FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Slow Demise of Global Services (Yes? No?) ....
Old Jul 13, 2018, 4:01 pm
wanderingkev

Programs: UA GS ,QF Plat
Originally Posted by LimeyFlyer

I'm curious as to what anyone's opinion would be that what you should expect as a GS, since clearly my expectations have not been met! I don't care about upgrades, since my tix are mostly in J, and the food and service on board are the same as everyone else.
You raise a good question, GS has been an interesting evolution , I am, like a few others on this topic a day 1 member so 15 ish years. For the first couple of years those who were in it and most UA staff did not seem to understand it , the only trace of it on a daily basis was VIP on a checked bag tag and other than on SYD/LAX you rarely bumped into another GS. The handling of IRROPS though was really very good, I don't recall any pre flying benefits back then. Have seen though as others have commented positives and negatives post merger, the award access has been helpful a few times over the years, the numbers in the program I guess are huge compared to what they were then, the pre boarding privilege is helpful once you get used to the feeling the hate. Although there have been cuts to all aspects of product and programs these have been agnostic to status so I don't think GS members can gripe more than anyone else about this. I find though at this moment the experience like most things UA is all things between crap and superb with no predictability. I have pulled most of my long haul J off UA since the end of last year, not a GS thing ,there are much better consistent products out there for the same or less that meet my needs, with no difference in treatment
To answer the question you pose I have really enjoyed for many years the premium passenger treatment I have with Qantas, when I lived in Oz I was in the QF ,GS equivalent ,Plat 1 and then Plat when I moved out of country. When you board you get a welcome back /good to see again , wherever you sit on the plane someone will casually stop by and check all is ok , very helpful call line , premium lounge access at no cost and very proactive customer management. I don't have huge recognition needs but when you do 6-8 QF sectors and get back on UA the attitude and MO difference is massive. When you have 200 + segments a year it is good to feel welcome ..Each to their own