FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Bonvoy ‘Ambassador Elite’ Level : experiences (2020 and earlier)
Old Jul 12, 2018, 1:23 pm
damon88

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
I do hope that Marriott is able to evolve and will adopt Starwood’s longstanding culture of rewarding Elite members.

Ostensibly, the loyalty program was a prime motivator in the acquisition. I do not have enough experience at Marriott yet to make a valid judgment (and the experiences I have had have been as matched Platinum- the true tests will come after the programs combine and I am a Marriott LTPP with Ambassador) but so far no Marriott I have stayed at has come near to the Platinum recognition I am accustomed to at SPG hotels.

I know one can’t draw conclusions about a brand from a single example- but I thought it was interesting that Mystique (SPG) automatically waived the charge to heat our pool next October and Domes of Elounda (Marriott) insists on a charge of $117 per day, even in a Villa.

I do believe there is a culture at Starwood that has not been a part of Marriott yet. I do take hope from comments Marriott execs have made. “CEO Arne Sorenson said his company interested in Starwood Hotels in part "because of the strength" of its loyalty program” Sorensen:
“We want [SPG members] to care intensely about the program, because that shows the value of the program to us.” Marriott has said they want to integrate the “best of Starwood” and there is little question that since the deal for Marriott to acquire Starwood was made official, Marriott has been working hard to add benefits similar to what Starwood has offered – 4 p.m. Platinum checkout, experiential rewards similar to SPG Moments, and an Ambassador program.

Again- only time will tell.