FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - BA Tier Point Runs | 2018 master thread
View Single Post
Old Jul 12, 2018, 3:12 am
SkyTeem

Programs: UA 1K, BA GGL/CCR, TK Elite Plus, Marriott Gold4Lyfe, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Tesco Blue
Originally Posted by OverTheHorizon
Hi all,

We are looking to go to Japan next May/June for about 3 weeks. We have a GUF2 to use up. Happy to pay for W and upgrade to J.
But if anyone has suggestions of a cheaper way to get to Japan (mostly) in a flat-bed seat, we'd love to heat them...
Just some advice from what I've learned, remember they stick you with the ridiculous surcharges when upgrading into J when you use a GUF, and sometimes (not always but sometimes - well, most of the time, as it seems, on the routes I have used), by the time you add up the additional surcharges and taxes, it's not very much more expensive/maybe around the same cost to purchase J and upgrade into F. Sounds crazy, I know, but the surcharges are really outrageous going from Y/W to J, and there are no add-ons going from J to F. So, if you can get a cheaper business class fare (perhaps I class), it can come out to be around the same total out of pocket cost, and you go in F.