FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Marriott Travel Packages
View Single Post
Old Jul 11, 2018, 10:23 am
tth6133

Originally Posted by jdang
I thought from from Marriott FAQ, the cert will change to a point based cert. https://members.marriott.com/faq/#i-...a-after-august

So if you have a category 6 cert now, it'll change to a point based cert. So a now Cat 6 cert is for 30k. a night so in august its a cert that can be used for 30k a night or less and not map to the new Category altogether. Refund for in between travel package cert, I have no idea. It probably wont refund you anything because after 2019 with the PEAK and OFF PEAK awards, your new point based cert for the old cat 6 can get you rooms in the new Cat 4 PEAK or a new OFF PEAK Cat 5. So I wouldn't request an upgrade to a cert expecting a refund if they don't bump you categories.

Cat 4(regular cert) - 20k
Cat 1-5 - 25k
Cat 6 - 30k
Cat 7 - 35k
Cat 8 - 40k
Cat 9 - 45k.
Tier 1-3 - 50k
Tier 4-5 - 70k

Side Note: No idea what they would do with Cat 9 cert though since there is no in between 45k award since it jumps from 40k to 50k for new Cat 5-6.
The link specifically refers to certificates earned via credit cards. For TP certificates, the issue is much more complicated. There're TP certificate holders who aren't even aware the hotel categories will change in August. Imagine the reaction of these people if they're told they can't redeem for the hotels they had in mind after August.