FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Perfect weekend Getaway at the Chanler (Newport RI)
Old Jul 11, 2018, 3:21 am
FlyingDoctorwu

Originally Posted by Ericka
Thanks for the report! We’ve often wondered about this place. Never been to Newport.
Highly encourage Newport; really quite a lovely town to visit and experience.. I have a thing for smaller seaside towns ( a la Charleston) and Newport delivered.
Originally Posted by LM225
Wow, that's a great view from the deck! And it looks like they really delivered on the flowers and the service.

Looks like you made the right call.

I love when these hotels include complimentary bikes, as it's such a great way to navigate/see so many of these New England towns.

I could see my wife getting annoyed by hotel staff being a little too good at remembering her birthday, too.
Thanks; to be fair that's not the true view from the deck; that's the turns to the right and look out view... but the room is only billed as a Garden View..

I was really really surprised by the service level.. but I guess since it's such a small property I shouldn't have...

Bikes were great... need to find other inns with similar programs.. I know Inn by the Sea, but any others out there?

Originally Posted by offerendum
I stayed at the Chanler in 2011 (Gothic room) and liked it. Food at Spiced Pear was very good.
I really liked Spiced Pear.. I thought it would be traditional (and it was) but just enjoyed the food and server.. our server was probably one of the best servers we've ever had.. great service and incredibly warm and genuine...

Originally Posted by Cityflyer10
Thanks for the review. Style isn’t quite my cup of tea but service sounds fantastic.

Funny you note full turndown...one of my minor cons with a few otherwise excellent hotels was mediocre turndown. Leaving finished welcome amenities plates and utensils, not topping up tea or house water etc..
Yeah style was definitely not well suited but I knew that coming in.. Service more than made up for it.. I think some of the King Villas (Martha's Island) are more contemporary and less floral so that might be an option....

My biggest pet peeve is that when I don't get a refill on Nespresso capsules at turndown... I tend to drink a couple cups during the day so I need my full stock come morning...

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
good to hear, fortunate there was availability
chanler 20 rooms, castle hill 33 rooms
can always keep checking re cancellations

i saw an example of how far in advance they can be booked. i believe castle hill still has 2 superior beach house, at each end. i booked 8 months in advance for a jun 2011 stay, the other one was booked a month before me, 9 months in advance, and they requested closest to ocean. that year for that room, peak jul/aug/sep rate was 50% higher than jun.
I checked constantly.. availability only got worse and they ended up selling out 2 of the 3 nights for our stay... Castle Hill too...

One thing I forgot to mention is that we were there 3 nights and there were 2 weddings (Sunday afternoon, Tuesday night)... they did close a bit of the lawn and the terrace for the Sunday wedding, and only a bit of the lawn for the Tuesday one... it didn't really affect us but I could see that being annoying...

FDW