FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - "Horny" Passenger Allegedly Molested Women on UA Flight
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:09 am
Aussienarelle

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
"
Originally Posted by joe_miami
LOL. There has never, at any time in American history, been a "social convention" for women to sit politely after being grabbed in or near the vagina by a stranger on an airplane (or anywhere else, for that matter).
Now I did not grow up in the USA (but Australia), but I suspect there are great similarities in the culture for females. I can assure you I was brought up to not confront a man. A "nice girl" does not do that. So when these things happened to me (and they happened more than you may realize), after the first time when I was 19 by a 60 year old (who was the senior partner in the firm) some of my male colleagues came to my "rescue" as I just burst into tears as I did not know what to do. I subsequently learned to diffuse future situations with humor, but I was also very much working in a man's world and the attitude was if I could not stand the heat to get out of the kitchen - I was a very successful professional female and you would not believe how many men are unhappily married or the number of times I was "propositioned" and we were able to "laugh" it off. But many females did not have the status in their careers that I did. There was and is a social convention for women to defer to men. So unless you are a female who has experienced the cultural norm of what is expected of a "nice girl", please respect that perhaps women do believe this is what is expected of them.

The women in this situation was probably trying not to make a scene, until she could not take it any longer. Until you have walked in her shoes perhaps consider that she too is a "nice girl". She was told by another female to sort it out with the guy who was assaulting her - we "nice girls" do not want to hurt a man's fragile ego. She then reported it the next day. That took courage as she would have had to be interviewed by the police and presumably testify in court.

There is a reason so many women support the MeToo movement - it is a real problem for many, many women.