FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - EU Compensation for cancelled flight
View Single Post
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:44 am
Slc2012

Originally Posted by irishguy28
The case law now shows that being required to depart a certain number of hours before the originally-scheduled departure time can also invoke the payment of compensation.

KLM in particular are aware of this. My last payout from KLM was in precisely this scenario; I was informed of the cancellation of the final flight of the day from LHR to AMS while on my way to Heathrow, and although they had automatically rebooked me on the first flight the next morning, I managed to get myself rebooked on the flight that was just departing, having just arrived at the airport really early. I submitted a claim and they paid up - despite arriving back in AMS before my original booking was even scheduled to depart LHR.

However, in the present case, it's important to know how far in advance of the flight the customer was informed - if done sufficiently in advance, there is no requirement for compensation.

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flight...ation_261/2004
If your flight was canceled and you were rebooked on an earlier flight, you can ask for compensation. There is still one condition for flight canceled less than 7 days in advance:
Article 5 from EU 261/2004.
(iii) they are informed of the cancellation less than seven days before the scheduled time of departure and are offered re-routing, allowing them to depart no more than one hour before the scheduled time of departure and to reach their final destination less than two hours after the scheduled time of arrival.
If with your re-routing, your arrival time at your final destination does not exceed the scheduled arrival time of the flight originally booked, your carrier may reduce your compensation by 50%.

The question from happy 10345 was: 2 -- If I am entitled to compensation would it be based on he flight distance from BCN-AMS (1240KM), BCN-KBP(2430KM) or BCN-AMS-KBP (3060KM).
In that case, the flight distance for the compensation should be BCN-AMS if I don't make a mistake. We will see the answer from KLM.