FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Michelin Restaurants" thread
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:27 am
JBord

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jbeans
Just finished my weekend of eating in Chicago --

Oriole -- service was great, but food was really disappointing. Portions are incredibly tiny to the point my husband and I were contemplating getting a burger at Au Cheval afterwards. Most dishes tasted over salted. 2nd course was a nigiri sushi with a uni gunkan, and the rice base used tasted like undercooked uncle Ben's with no vinegar flavor whatsoever. Another memorably bad course was a piece of king crab leg the size of a thumbnail, accompanied with a dollop of super salty hoisin sauce. Maybe it was an off night? I just can't imagine how this place got 2 michelin stars.

Alinea -- went in with relatively low expectations and were blown away! Easily top 5 best meals of all time. It was definitely fun and gimmicky, but the gimmicks did not take away from the quality of the ingredients and cooking. Great service and wine selections as well. Would definitely go back again next time we're in Chicago.

Roister -- solid spot for bunch! Really enjoyed the fried chicken sandwich, very juicy crispy and flavorful.
Interesting on Oriole. I haven't been there and now am thinking I'll save the money.

I'm not surprised at all that Alinea is in your top 5. Regardless of where a restaurant or chef is ranked, I was convinced after meeting Grant and Nick that they would close down before they ever let the quality of the food or experience slip.