FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Seeking Advice: What to do with 420,000 Marriott Points
Old Jul 9, 2018, 10:38 pm
PumpkinSmasher

Originally Posted by somedudefromFLa
Just a couple of curveball math equations here

1st 420 ÷ 60 = 7

As of August there are going to be some really nice hotels bookable temporarily for 60k a night. So in theory you could book, with no cost out of pocket, 7 nights ( or possibly 8 if get the book 5 nights for cost of 4 like spg does - not sure if that'll be valid after August)

2nd 420 ÷ 3 = 140

As of current a very good point value on spg is the category 2 hotels for 4,000 points per night. Sure you're talking about Sheratons or maybe alofts etc. nothing fancy but again free hotels with nothing out of pocket. That'd be 35 nights ( or more as only 3,000 points if weekend ).

valuation:

1st assuming get real nice hotel, think bora bora or prime location in Sydney or NYC / London I'd say $600 or so per night maybe little less.... so that total = $4,800 if get 8 nights. But me personally I'm not so sure that $4,800 is a true "yeah I'd normally spend that $4,800" unless planning an anniversary trip or something like that

2nd assuming could get a regular hotel for a little less than $100, let's say $90... so that'd total = $3,150 ( of course little higher if get weekends ). Now, I think this is a very true valuation and is money I would "normally spend" and furthermore from prior experience I've been able to book hotels worth $150 or so for 4,000 which kind of makes me think that is a bit undervalued!!! If redo that math at $150 we're talking over $5,000 value

Of course each of these situations is truly unique to the individual what fits your schedule, desired etc.
Me personally, I probably would consider one travel plan deal like you noted in OP and then really look around try to be flexible and book quite a few of those 3k/4k stays ( remember can book upto a year out ).
Great analysis! Really appreciate your thought and insight.

I think the issue I run into is that I can't lock in those stays at those prices for long. So even though I could potentially have lots of nights at that 3-4K range, I'd probably be left with booking just to book as I could come up with enough itineraries on the fly to utilize it all over the next year. But you do raise a good point...a lot of value to be had at those SPG properties before the new rates go into effect. I'm just not sure I'm primed to take advantage of it. I thought about the top tier property suggestion you made too. Don't really have one of those on the horizon. There's probably a great sweet spot to be had as well between the two, but again, I just don't know if I could book anything I was overwhelmed with before that time.