FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Lagos day trips
Thread: Lagos day trips
View Single Post
Old Jul 9, 2018, 7:27 am
Stewie Mac
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by shefgab
Next week I have a business trip to Lagos, but will have a full free day before my evening flight home.

I could stay in the hotel, but i'm fairly adventurous, so was hoping to explore a bit. I know Lagos isn't the quintessential tourist destination, so I need some advice:

- Where to go for the day? In town there doesn't seem to be a lot to see. Badagry Town looks interesting, but it's quite a distance from Lagos. The Lekki Conservation Centre also looks interesting, but again is a bit of a journey. I'm staying in a hotel up near the airport. Any good beach clubs?
No idea - I never seem to have any free time. A very long time ago, Tarkwa Bay was the place to go, but no idea how/if that still works with the land reclamation...

- How to get around. I'm a little worried about security, and so i'm interested in hiring a driver with a car (and security guard?). I can't find much information on cars and drivers online....can anyone point me in the right direction (feel free to send me a message).
I just use Uber - so long as you can get a signal on your phone (network coverage is patchy/variable) then I find it works very well. Can't help in terms of drivers and guards, but if you're of that mind then I'd imagine your company/host company can sort you one out

- Traffic. I understand that in the last few years the traffic in Lagos has improved - are the Google Map timings to be believed, or should I had a few hours onto every journey?

Thanks for any advice
It doesn't feel like it! Actually, sometimes it can be very good, but you need to plan on its being terrible, especially when heading to the airport. Certainly I wouldn't plan on doing Badagry for the day, and last month it took me 2.5 hours from Lekki to Ikeja (33km, Google Maps suggests 1 hour) at lunchtime...