FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - LAX immigration processing times NZ2 AKL-LHR?
Old Jul 8, 2018, 2:47 pm
nzkarit

Originally Posted by sbiddle
You will never miss your flight. Security is the known bottleneck and it's not uncommon to see airline staff at the TSA queues pulling people out of queues to expedite them.

I haven't flown AKL-LAX since this time last year but have been to LAX a few times since. My experience last year was around 70 mins from plane to Koru, recent LAX experiences have been better for clearing CBP and TSA security outbound.

On my last flight back from LAX in Jan they had moved to the new TSA security screening setup which is far more efficient than the old setup. Took less than 10 mins to get through screening mid afternoon at the same time as the NZ2 transit was occurring. It does however depend if you strike a day where they're using full body screening and more extensive security measures (ie removing shoes etc) as days where they're not interested in people removing shoes, belts etc and only using metal detectors are so much quicker.

My experience is that they also don't always have a dedicated transit queue for security, it seems to depend on the day.

I don't think the process is as bad as some people make out (maybe I'm just used to it by now!) but it's definitely not enjoyable and if you can get help it will make life better.
Compared to the queues at Wellington Domestic for example it is really bad. Its really a funding a thing (I think) would like to know how many machines and staff per pax in NZ vs US. My guess is NZ has a better ratio.