FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Discussion of concierge pay
View Single Post
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:16 am
expert7700

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by yyznomad
So how much should a concierge be making? Entry-level concierge? Senior concierge? Head concierge?

What do the salary experts say here? I'm taking notes. Serious ones. So egu.
I'm no salary expert but would say $35k and up based on length of service. Maybe topping out in the high $70s. (Will that pay for a decent apartment or home in Toronto area, assuming concierge is the sole wage earner, and has one child?)

Instead of getting newbie employees on their first week of work wearing a Concierge name tag, I'd like to know I am getting a highly trained employee who has been thru at least a year of dealing with regular customer issues, and moved UP the ranks to concierge.i

When I call and get a CONCIERGE on the phone they are supposed to work with a customer who doesn't flinch at a multi thousand dollar ticket for several hours of flying. They are given authority to seemingly move mountains (rebook irrops SE Y into J, get SE hotel benefits even in weather irrops at nicer hotels, etc).

AC has apparently done a great job of positioning concierges to the elite $20k/year customers.... But behind the scenes, when a gate agent tells me to call the concierge...are they really passing the buck to a lower paid employee? I've always thought that saying "no thank you I will just call the concierge then" was a way of telling an unhelpful employee that I was escalating the issue to a higher rank...but maybe it isn't.

Knowing I am being helped by minimum wage staff does concern me. Why would I make them work harder just because I am entitled to a benefit.

At least AC has not outsourced concierges to offshore agents. When I am on the phone with another airline call center overseas, they make dumb comments like "would you like to go ahead and pay it is JUST a $1400 change fee/fare difference on your 7 $27.00 one way tickets. How awful it must be to make $10 a day by taking calls and money by the thousands all day for your employer. It's easy to throw these call centers off script.... ask overseas Direct TV/Sirius agents their favorite channel or how they like the service in their own home/car, ask the airline call center employees overseas how they like a certain model of aircraft or if they like the in flight service.

Last edited by expert7700; Jul 8, 2018 at 12:07 pm