FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - American Express retention offers (2017-2019).
Old Jul 7, 2018, 1:09 pm
Diplomatico

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by blaz
2nd year with Platinum, originally opened with the 100K bonus. Took a $150 statement credit retention offer last year. After some brief questioning (see below), account was cancelled without any offer.

I was asked why I originally opened the account, told them due to FHR and that I recently learned about Virtuoso which is completely free and effectively the same as FHR. Then they questioned me about the Uber credit, it looks like they are really evaluating what to do with it. I told them that I dislike Uber as a company and I only use the credit to offset the increase in the annual fee. He asked me if I would have kept the account if the Uber credit wasn't available and the annual fee remained at $450 and I told them that it would be much more likely that I would have kept it (which is true).
Since I use Uber mainly while on travel outside of the USA, I would find the Uber credit to be much more valuable if it were available in other countries. I would prefer a lump sum $200 rolling credit, also, but I understand why they would want to allocate it monthly in the manner in which they do.