FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Maldives Recs for 2019 trip
View Single Post
Old Jul 7, 2018, 12:50 pm
Pausanias

MikefromTokyo - This was the original 'luxury' resort in the Maldives, included in Rene Lecler's 300 Best Hotels in the World. It was the Biyadoo resort. They also had a neighbouring island and a ferry between the two. It was incredibly rustic, lots of charm, and lots of flaws but they were ground-breaking. They had a duck that waddled around attacking any guest that strayed close to it.

The house reef was absolutely stunning. I saw 1000s of tropical reef fish, sharks, mantas, the lot. It changed my life.

We got there from Adelaide. Flew to Singapore in an otherwise empty business class cabin. Then Singers to Male. Then a three-hour boat trip to the resort. This was seriously off the map. Environmentally pure. Don't get me started on these new resorts like Cheval Blanc. No single country has done more to damage their environment than the Maldives and hotel chains have jumped on it without a single care in the world except for making money. I think Soneva Fushi started out with the right ideas.