FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there something special about Fairmont Gold?
Old Jul 7, 2018, 9:35 am
CanadaDH

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Thinking about this a bit more, if they wanted to make Fairmont Gold part of the Plat benefits, then it should include everything. Meaning, don't just offer access to the lounge, as that makes for crowded lounges. However, they could perhaps offer an annual "gold room upgrade", or similar, so the Plat guest will also be occupying the Gold room, not just getting lounge access. That might keep the product from getting overcrowded, if the Gold lounge guests were still limited by the number of Gold rooms occupied. Whether it was a Gold upgrade on availability, or fixed number of annual upgrades confirmed at time of booking like the old FPC cert system, I would want to see a system when any benefit access didn't overload the product. Personally, I would prefer a limited number of confirmed upgrades over unlimited upgrades on availability, to avoid playing the room lottery. Or, maybe a better option as a Plat benefit is to still maintain the exclusive hotel-within-a-hotel concept, and not allow any upgrades into Gold, but offer Plats a discount. Maybe a Plat benefit could be that a Gold room can be booked for only 50% of the posted rate premium over a non-Gold room? I'm sure if they really try, they could find some way to incorporate the product into the benefits without watering down the quality.