Old Jul 7, 18, 6:36 am
tris06

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Jasper2009 View Post
Fairmont indeed markets the Gold floor as a "hotel within a hotel" instrad of thinking of it as a "club lounge".

A few general comments:

- in North America the Fairmont Gold lounges are much superior compared with the (often mediocre) lounges offered by any major hotel chain (whether it's Starwood, Marriott, Hilton): you'll generally find upscale furnishing, a quiet atmosphere, oustanding staff and restaurant-quality food
- Fairmont is quite successful in charging a (significant) price premium for rooms/suites on the Gold floor
- the value proposition has rarely really worked for me (since Fairmont Gold rooms/suites were also excluded from using upgrade certs under the former FPC program), but having stayed on the Gold floor occasionally, I can say that the service is generally truly 5* and generally a notch or two better than the hotel as whole (e.g. dedicated concierge team; highly personalized service)
- in North America, Gold lounges have an honour bar, whereas Gold lounges outside North America all offer complimentary alcoholic beverages at night (afaik)
- the size and capacity of the Gold lounges varies greatly, but I'd say most definitely don't have the capacity to accommodate any more guests without the lounge getting crowded (i.e. the usual "need to arrive by 5p.m. if you want a (decent) seat" problem common at many hotels)

Outside North America my evaluation would probably be somewhat different since various hotels (including Sofitel in some locations) have excellent club lounges; so offering Gold lounge access to Platinum members at all Fairmont properties outside North America would be more feasible IMO.
A very good post Jasper. In asia from the looks of it I think I Would Just book the gold room and get the room upgrade within the gold level. I am not a big drinker So I could easily skip the alcohol and Just be on juices and etc.