FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - RewardsPlus - Comp'ed Marriot/UA status {Highest UA comp'ed status now Marriott Gold}
Old Jul 6, 2018, 7:11 pm
jsloan
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Does that mean it will be status quo with MR Golds becoming Platinum in the new program? Possibly, but I think at the detriment of the Platinum Premiere in the new program.
Does the existing RewardsPlus program come at the detriment of Platinum (or Gold, for that matter) in the current program?

RewardsPlus favours UA MileagePlus members over Current MR Platinum Elites as I see it.
The fact that half of the posters on this board feel this way, and half feel the opposite, is a pretty good indication that they got the balance correct.

It is apparent that Marriott values UA gold/platinum/1K more than UA values MR Platinum Elites. Perhaps UA was a better negotiator. The reality is that with status matching, RewardsPlus, Credit Card affiliations and the monetization of benefits on standard room "packages" for non-elites, the Elite Program has been watered down.
And you expect this to change with the introduction of the new Marriott program?

I can do a few quick UA Mileage Runs in January, obtain UA Gold and be granted Platinum in Marriotts new program for a couple grand rather than $10K-$15K to obtain it organically.
The average Marriott customer would pay nowhere near that amount for Gold status. $15K is three quarters of the way to Ambassador status in the new program. The vast majority of Marriott properties are available for less than $100 per night and have no lounge anyway. I understand that not everyone stays in those properties, but when you’re trying to figure out what UA and Marriott may to do in terms of a status match, it’s good to know how your profile stacks up against others. These numbers suggest that you’re a serious outlier in the Marriott program, so — while I’m sure they appreciate your business — your experience is unlikely to be representative.

I don’t know if the Marriott Rewards credit card is available to Canadian residents, but keep in mind that many US members only need 35 nights to reach New MR Platinum — $3500 or so, even without booking any meetings.

At least 100 hours of in-flight time.... There are 168 hours in a week! You cannot reach New Platinum in January based on stays, not enough days in the month to do that.
Certainly you can (although what’s the hurry?). With the demise of the rollover night, though, it does require at least one meeting. Or you can “suffer” for an additional four nights at New Gold before your New Platinum status kicks in (if a credit card holder)

If I am spending $2K to attain New Platinum via RewardsPlus on flights the bag fee is inconsequential compared to spending $10K+ on organic stays for the same benefit.
Not only do the vast majority of MR Gold/New Platinum members spend nowhere near that, most UA Gold members spend more than $2K. Here, you’re benefitting from the PQD waiver for non-US residents — which is very much the sort of diluting of benefits you’re decrying in other situations.

Would you be incentivized to attain UA Gold if your lounge access was dependent on how busy it was when you wanted to use it?
It very much is, at least if you want to sit down. And again, you’re benefitting from being Canadian — many UA Gold members get lounge access on 0% of their flights (US members who don’t fly internationally).

E+ ACCESS is not the same as Lounge, Late Check out & Breakfast GUARANTEED!
None of those three things are guaranteed. There are plenty of lounges closed on weekends, in addition to the fact that the majority of properties don’t have a lounge at all. There are a couple of brands that exclude Late Check Out, and the Breakfast guarantee is applicable only to about 2/3 of the brands.

If a MR Gold granted from UA Gold+ arrives at a hotel an hour before I do and gets the last available upgrade then shouldn't a MR Platinum Elite granted UA Silver get the last upgrade on a flight when arriving at the airport before a UA Gold+?
If that’s the way the programs operated, yes. It’s not.

It is easy to argue "balance" when you are on the "favourable" side! There is nothing balanced about it.
Again, your point of view is extremely colored by your rather unusual travel profile.

As such, I remain and happy to USE UA to attain Gold and be granted New Platinum at a fraction of the outlay because apparently Marriott values UA Gold+ members more than their own organic Elites.
I’m sure both Marriott and UA would be happy with that situation, so I’m not exactly sure what’s eating you up.

I already have 64 stays combined this year, spent the first 2 months of 2018 on an RTW trip booked in Business and First for 2 on awards and currently have 37 Y & J & F flights booked between August and November and another 17 between February and March.
It would be insanity for either an airline or a hotel chain to tailor their program for people who meet your profile. No offense intended; it’s just that this further proves my point. You’re an outlier. You’ll likely always be on the short end of one stick and very much on the long end of another, just because you do things that most people don’t do and therefore that most programs don’t consider.

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
And none of us know how this is going to turn out, as I for one, plan to just wait and see, and than make a decision that works for me personally -- I would not expect you to do different. Marriott / UA have a vast range of customers to consider and they have the date, we'll see what they do (in their self-interest)
This, 100%.

Originally Posted by ctownflyer
Of course United can negotiate for their elites to get Marriott Platinum going forward, but otherwise it will be back to Gold next February. Now that Platinum members get suite upgrades, I think the odds that UA will be able to negotiate Platinum is very small.
Would you keep the same position if Marriott had named their new tiers Bronze / Silver / Gold / Platinum? New Marriott Platinum is basically Marriott Gold. It’s not immediately apparent to me that New Platinum is much different than current Gold. It’s clear that matched status will not grant Suite Night Awards (although I’m not sure those will be that useful — they’re not guaranteed, so they’re a lot like RPUs). And nobody really knows how suite upgrades will be prioritized, but, again, the vast majority of Marriott properties have few / no suites.

And that is my point!!!! If in the unlikely event that UA Gold+ does maintain Platinum in the new program post February then I sever my loyalty to Marriott and do a few mileage runs with UA.
That’s certainly your prerogative. I don’t consider it the least bit unlikely that this is how things shake out. Personally, I can’t imagine 50K of PQM — especially in mileage run form — in order to get new Marriott Platinum status — but, then, I mostly stay at non-suite, non-lounge properties at $80-$110 per night.

As a lifetime UA Gold, and within a month (or less) of being a lifetime Marriott New Platinum Premier, I don’t have any skin in the game. However, I’m a big fan of the partnership, from the extra miles on Marriott -> United transfers to the new bonus miles for linked hotel stays, and I hope they continue to find ways to improve it.