FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - What is (or not) included in the U.S. Supermarket category?
Old Jul 4, 2018, 11:43 am
wwongo

Originally Posted by acarney

How long and roughly how much $ have you been doing that? Does Amex care about stuff like that, or just if you’re doing it for the initial bonus?
I haven't done the gift cards at QFC for use at Fred Meyer all that much recently mostly because the Chase Freedom card had grocery stores last quarter and Chase does count Fred Meyer as a grocery or I was working on a minimum spend for another card. I don't have the everyday card but I do have the cash card with 6% at grocery stores and had no problem with the grocery store or occasional visa card when safeway has a deal. I don't do manufactured spend. I buy gift cards for my own use or the visa ones to give as gifts. So far no problems with my small use. I do buy an above average amount of groceries(I run a small daycare) so saving and getting rewards on groceries is something I look out for.
A side datapoint is that the visa "Fashion Everywhere" cards do work at Fred Meyer for groceries. I had one and tried it(I think I bought it at Office Depot when there was a sale) when my cash flow was low and no trouble using it.