FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Apology for earlier thread on overweight passenger..
Old Jul 9, 2004, 3:17 pm
T Q

Programs: HHonors/Marriott/Starwood/SWA Rapid Rewards
Smile Apology for earlier thread on overweight passenger..

Wow..

I'm so sorry I didn't edit my earlier thread on the overweight pax who made my husband's flight miserable. I'm glad the thread is closed now and I'm writing this to set the record straight. I really didn't mean to call names.. I was emotional when I posted this and that's not good as you all know. The title of the thread was also poorly chosen. There was no racial comments intended. The extremely overweight passenger who took up all of his seat and almost half of my husbands (seats a and b on the md80) was white as was my husband. But we are not racists of any kind and like people of all ethnicities.

I think my husband was angry because:

a) he was extremely uncomfortable for the 3 hour and 5 min flight
a) the flight was full ( no empty seats that he could see to switch to )
b) after the flight ended he realized that the man had a wife and daughter that the large man could have switched with so as not to crush a stranger (my husband). Although the rest of the family was also large, it wouldn't have been as bad as the very very large man. It would be more considerate of this large man and that's where a lot of the anger came from).
c) American Airlines doesn't seem to address this problem that must happen on nearly every flight. They could have denied boarding to him when he didn't present 2 boarding passes.
d) the airlines could also have special seats for those few people who clearly do not fit into the average seat. I'm sure the overweight passenger would appreciate that too.

That's about it. I'm sorry to anyone who I offended. Most folks are overweight. This is not about them. It's about someone whose presence in an airline seat clearly ruins the ride for the person next to them. It's about their responsibilty to buy 2 seats so that it won't ruin someone else's ride.

As much as we like taking trips, airline flights are really not comfortable for anyone (except maybe in F which I've only flown once)... so a situation like this makes it 10 times worse. My husband should definitely have addressed the situation with an FA (in private) and will in the future should it happen again.

Enough Said. I love Flyertalk and I appreciate all the comments (good and bad). Please accept my apologies!

T Q