FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - United sells tickets with hidden airport transfers...
Old Jul 4, 2018, 6:56 am
raehl311

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
United sells tickets with hidden airport transfers, double-charges for bag

Used the app to buy a mileage ticket, PHL-DCA-CLE. When checking in at the airport, discovered the ticket was ACTUALLY PHL-IAD/DCA-CLE. Agents were of no help in changing the ticket to avoid the unadvertised airport transfer, suggesting more attention should have been paid when the ticket was booked. So I went to book the same itinerary for the next day, and this is what the app shows when booking this ticket:

Flight Selection Screen

Purchase Confirmation Screen

Three screens that say PHL-DCA-CLE with a connection in DCA. The ONLY place in the entire booking process that indicates anything else is the cabin select screen subs out "IAD" for "DCA" above where it says you have a 3:34 stop and plane change in Washington, DC.

I feel like United ultimately didn't provide the travel that was booked (PHL-DCA-CLE), and refused to adjust the travel to something reasonable, forcing a $56 uber ride between airports.

To add insult to injury, on arrival at DCA, was forced to pay a SECOND bag check fee for the second leg of what should have been one ticket.

Should I ask for a refund of the miles? The second bag fee? Reimbursement of the uber fare?

Ticket purchased for a friend, who did not have any luck getting help at check-in and did not really have time to request help and still make her flight after landing at IAD.

Last edited by raehl311; Jul 4, 2018 at 9:22 am